27 Jun 5 Tips for Keeping Your Oriental Rug Clean
It’s quite possible that even if you regularly clean your oriental rug, it could collect dirt and dust and other unwanted substances. The rugs can be made of very fine fabric, leading to more wear and beatdown over time. Here are a few tips to prevent your oriental rug from aging:
- Keep the rug out of the sun. By sitting in the light all day the fabric will fade, making it easier to wear down. Exposure to natural sunlight over a long period of time will damage the rug.
- Rotate your rug frequently. When natural light hits the rug in one spot, it changes color over time. Move the rug often to evenly distribute light onto it. A good trick is to move it with every change of season.
- Change up the walking path. Feet wearing out the rug in the same spots every day will hurt it. Every once in awhile you should adjust the furniture or the direction of the rug to get a new walkway on it.
- Vacuum regularly. High-activity areas such as living rooms and kitchens collect dust, dirt, crumbs and other unwanted bits and pieces. Clean and shake out the rug as often as possible. Vacuuming also keeps fibers of the rug from getting packed down.
- Clean spills quickly. Stains will cover your rug if you don’t act fast. Soap and bleach are not recommended. Only use water to dab up spills. Put paper towels underneath to stop the stain from reaching the backing of the rug. If you can’t find a way to remove it, call a professional for help.
More information can be found at: https://www.angieslist.com/articles/10-tips-maintaining-oriental-rugs.htm